Cultural Tour | Windjana Gorge | Napier Range | Tunnel Creek | Lillimooloora Ruins | Story of Jandamarra | Lennard River
Duration: Full Day Tour (approx. 10 hours)
Flight Time: 3.0 Hours
Departure: Available Tuesday, Thursday & Saturday
What to Bring: Swimwear, Towel, Hat, Sunscreen, Hiking shoes, Sunglasses, Camera
via airconditioned 4WD bus
After lunch visit Tunnel Creek a 750m long tunnel running beneath the 350 million year old Devonian Reef System.
Due to the closure of Windjana Gorge for the 2023 Season, our Windjana Explorer Tour will return in 2024.
- Departing Broome, we fly over the spectacular pindan cliffs and turquoise waters of Roebuck Bay.
- Travel over the vast mangroves and wetlands of Roebuck Plains.
- Flying over the Fitzroy River we approach the Napier Range, mostly made from heavily eroded limestone, or karst, with the ridges composed of an ancient Devonian reef system.
- On arrival into Windjana airstrip jump aboard your air-conditioned 4WD tour bus and then head to Windjana Gorge.
- On arrival at Windjana Gorge you will be met by a local Bunuba Aboriginal Guide with a welcome to country and smoking ceremony.
- Enjoy a walking tour through Windjana Gorge, learn about the spiritual significance of the gorge and closely observe freshwater crocodiles in their natural habitat.
- After lunch served beneath the shady bloodwood trees, explore the 750m long Tunnel Creek that runs beneath the 350-million-year-old Devonian Reef System.
- Learn about the Bunuba people, and hear the story of Jandamarra the Aboriginal Warrior who hid out in the tunnel and led the Bunuba resistance against the oppression of the local Aboriginal people during the late 1800's.
- Visit the historic ruins of Lillimooloora Police Station.
- Stunning afternoon flight back to Broome.
- Morning Tea, Lunch and Afternoon tea provided.
*For your convenience it is advisable to wear comfortable walking shoes at Windjana Gorge. (The track is mostly drift sand). The Tunnel Creek tour is a memorable experience and the 750m tunnel is entered over some large rocks requiring a reasonable level of fitness. Once inside you will negotiate a series of sand bottomed pools of variable depth. Strap sandals, reef shoes or sneakers with socks are recommended. It is suggested that you wear your swimsuit/bathers for the Tunnel walk – however you can wear an old shirt and shorts. Head torches are supplied for your tour. If you plan to carry your camera through Tunnel Creek, a suitable waterproof carrying bag is advisable as protection against potential water damage.