Mitchell Falls Explorer - Dry
Little Mertens Falls | Mertens Gorge | Bradshaw Paintings | Mitchell Falls | Montgomery Reef | Horizontal Waterfalls
Duration: Full Day Tour
Flight Time: 5.3 Hours
Departure: Available Daily
What to Bring: Swimwear, Towel, Hat, Sunscreen, Hiking shoes, Sunglasses, Camera
Fly over Harding Range, and King Cascade on Prince Regent River before landing at Mitchell Plateau for morning tea.
Bus, hike and helicopter
A bus ride through ancient Livistona palms, forest to the Mertens campground. Then a 4.5km hike, along the way swim and explore ancient rock art found beneath the falls. An exhilarating helicopter ride over the Falls takes us back to base for refreshments.
Southbound along the Kimberley coast we fly over Kuri Bay, Camden Sounds and Montgomery Reef.
Described by David Attenborough as the 8th Natural Wonder of the World
Refreshments, a swim and enough time to enjoy a walk along the beautiful beaches.
- Departing Broome, we fly North over King Sound, home to Australia’s largest tides and amongst the highest in the world.
- Fly over Walcott Inlet estuary, the rarely seen Harding Range, and the impressive King Cascade on the Prince Regent River, before landing at Mitchell Plateau, home to the Wunambal, Gaambera, Kwini and Balangarra.
- On arrival, you are met by your tour guide from Kingfisher Tours and board the 4WD coach that takes you down an eye-catching bush track surrounded by ancient livistona palms, to the Mertens campground (Ranger Base) and the start of the 4.5km Punamii-unpuu Hiking Trail.
- Along the way we can swim, explore and enjoy trail snacks at the Little Mertens Falls.
- You will be inspired and humbled by the mysterious ancient rock art found beneath the falls, featuring the mythical Gwion Gwion spirit figures.
- Next stop is the awesome Big Mertens Falls and the upstream crossing of the Mitchell River before arriving at the spectacular Punamii-unpuu (Mitchell Falls).
- Time to enjoy your gourmet picnic lunch, rest and swim.
- We then meet at the helipad for an exhilarating helicopter ride over the Falls back to base where we take the coach back to the airfield for a well-earned cold beer, wine or a cup of tea, before the homeward flight coastal southbound.
- On the return journey, we fly over Camden Sound, Montgomery Reef, Kuri Bay, Horizontal Falls, Buccaneer Archipelago, Cape Leveque, James Price Point, Willie Creek and world famous Cable Beach.
PLEASE NOTE: Class 5 walk, Good level of fitness and mobility is required. The 4km walk from Punamii-unpuu camp site to the Mitchell Falls will be the highlight of your stay, we allow 2.5 hours to complete the hike. The terrain on this walking trail can be difficult and requires a high level of fitness. Care should be taken due to uneven surfaces, water crossings, cliffs and gorges. The Horizontal Waterfalls is a natural phenomenon which is tide dependant with variable flow. We cannot guarantee the amount or level of water flowing through the Horizontal Waterfalls at any given time