Mitchell Falls Explorer - Dry Season
Mitchell Plateau | Little Mertens Falls | Mertens Gorge | Mitchell Falls | Kuri Bay | Montgomery Reef | Horizontal Waterfalls
Duration: Full Day Tour (approx. 12 hours)
Flight Time: 5.6 Hours
Departure: Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday & Sunday
What to Bring: Swimwear, Towel, Hat, Sunscreen, Hiking shoes, Sunglasses, Camera
Fly over Harding Range, and King Cascade on Prince Regent River before landing at Mitchell Plateau.
Punamii-unpuu Hiking Trail
Enjoy a 4km cultural walk travelling past majestic waterfalls, spell-binding gorges, Aborginial rock art and sites of cultural significance to the Wunambal people. Includes 4WD to the start of the walk trail and an exhilarating helicopter scenic transfer from the falls back to the campground.
Southbound along the Kimberley coast we fly over Kuri Bay, Camden Sounds and Montgomery Reef.
Described by Sir David Attenborough as the 8th Natural Wonder of the World
Marvel at the stunning red cliffs at Cape Leveque as we track coastal south bound exploring the Dampier Peninsula and the beautiful bays and beaches of the Dampier coastline.
- Departing Broome, we track North across King Sound, home to Australia's largest tides, fly over Walcott Inlet, the rarely seen Harding Range, and the Prince Regent River, before landing at Mitchell Plateau airstrip.
- On arrival, you will be met by your tour guide from Kingfisher Tours. After a quick meet and greet, experience driving along one of the most remote Kimberley tracks in your comfortably airconditioned 4WD through the vast ancient Livistona Palm forest to the Mertens campground (Ranger Base) and the start of the 4.5km Punamii-unpuu Hiking Trail.
- Guided by your tour guide, enjoy a 4km cultural walk travelling past majestic waterfalls, spell-binding gorges, Aboriginal rock art and sites of cultural significance to the Wunambal people with swimming opportunities.
- Admire the unforgettable view of Mitchell Falls whilst you enjoy a packed lunch, rest and rejuvenate.
- After exploring the falls, a refreshing swim and many photo opportunities, enjoy an exhilarating helicopter scenic flight with HeliSpirit over the majestic Mitchell Falls and Mertens Gorge and be transferred back to the Range Base for the drive back to Mitchell Plateau airstrip.
- After arriving back at the airfield, enjoy some well-earned refreshments before the homeward flight.
- On the homeward flight, we track the coastline past Kuri Bay, home to the Paspaley Pearl Farm and the beautiful Montgomery Reef.
- Fly over Horizontal Waterfalls described by Sir David Attenborough as the 8th Natural Wonder of the World.
- Marvel at the stunning Buccaneer Archipelago and it's 1,000 islands and the stunning northern tip of the Dampier Peninsula, Cape Leveque.
- Coastal return flight along the bays and beaches of the Dampier Peninsula with views of Beagle Bay, James Price Point, Willie Creek Pearl Farm and world-famous Cable Beach as the sun sets over the Indian Ocean.
PLEASE NOTE: The 4km walk from Punamii-unpuu camp site to the Mitchell Falls will be the highlight of your visit, we allow 2 hours to complete the hike. The terrain on this walking trail can be difficult (Class 5 graded walk) and requires a high level of fitness. Care should be taken due to uneven surfaces, water crossings, cliffs and gorges. For any guests who are unable to complete the walk or cancel on the day will not receive a refund and will be liable for any additional costs incurred. Please also note that should the Mitchell Falls cease to flow we may suspend the remainder of the Mitchell Falls tour season schedule. The Horizontal Waterfalls is a natural phenomenon which is tide dependant with variable flow. We cannot guarantee the amount or level of water flowing through the Horizontal Waterfalls when overflying due to the structured tour schedule.