Devonian Reef Adventure Safari
Cultural Tour | Mimbi Caves | Fitzroy Crossing | Geikie Gorge | Windjana Gorge | Tunnel Creek | Napier Range
Duration: 1 night, 2 Full Days
Flight Time: 4.0 Hours
Departure: Available Monday, Wednesday & Friday
What to Bring: Swimwear, Towel, Hat, Sunscreen, Overnight bag (10kg), Hiking shoes, Sunglasses, Camera
Overnight stay at Fitzroy River Lodge nestled on the banks of the Fitzroy River.
Explore the creek that runs beneath the 350 million year old Devonian Reef System.
Hear the story of Jandamarra.
With a Bunuba guide learn about the spiritual significance of the Windjana Gorge and see freshwater crocodiles basking.
- Our adventure begins flying over the spectacular pindan cliffs and turquoise waters of Roebuck Bay as you travel south east over the vast mangroves and wetlands of Roebuck Plains.
- Fly over the Fitzroy River and marvel at the St George Ranges before landing at a remote airstrip where we are met by your local guide for a short drive to Mimbi Caves.
- Enjoy a fascinating walk between towering Karst cliffs on the way to the caves entrance. Explore the caves and its marine fossils, layers of sedimentary limestone and richly coloured ochres that stain the walls, ancient rock paintings and enjoy a swim in the cave rock pool.
- After Mimbi Caves, we fly to Fitzroy Crossing where we are transferred to our accommodation nestled on the banks of the Fitzroy River, the Fitzroy River Lodge. Enjoy lunch at the on-site restaurant Riverside before heading out on a Fitzroy Crossing town tour, Gallery visit and an afternoon Danggu Geikie Gorge Boat Tour. Learn about the gorge's wildlife and geology. Search for crocodiles, wallabies, and birds such as sea eagles, brolgas and rare purple-crowned fairy-wrens, against the backdrop of contrasting colours of the gorge walls.
- After the boat ride, you have the evening to relax on fifty acres of natural bushland with shady trees and landscaped gardens and enjoy a delicious dinner at leisure.
- The following morning after breakfast, we are transferred back to the airport for our flight to Windjana Gorge and Tunnel Creek.
- Flying over the Oscar Ranges and the Devonian Reef Conservation Park with the spectacular King Leopold Ranges to the east, marvel at the vast lands made of heavily eroded limestone with the ridges composed of the ancient Devonian reef system.
- On arrival into Windjana airstrip meet your local guide and jump aboard your air-conditioned 4WD tour bus for an unforgettable adventure.
- Enjoy a walking tour through Windjana Gorge, learn about the spiritual significance of the gorge and see freshwater crocodiles basking in the sun.
- After lunch served beneath the shady bloodwood trees, explore the 750m long Tunnel Creek that runs beneath the 350-million-year-old Devonian Reef System.
- Learn about the Bunuba people and hear the story of Jandamarra the Aboriginal Warrior who hid out in the tunnel and led the Bunuba resistance against the oppression of the local Aboriginal people during the late 1800's. Visit the historic ruins of Lillimooloora Police Station.
- Enjoy a stunning late afternoon flight back to Broome as the sunsets over Cable Beach.
- Breakfast, lunch and evening meals included with light refreshments between meals.
*At Mimbi Caves, the walk into the caves is uneven and while we provide some assistance, you will need to be reasonably confident on your feet. In the caves the light can be poor and, in some places, non-existent. Those suffering a fear of close spaces should be mindful of this. For your convenience it is advisable to wear comfortable walking shoes at Windjana Gorge. (The track is mostly drift sand). The Tunnel Creek tour is a memorable experience and the 750m tunnel is entered over some large rocks requiring a reasonable level of fitness. Once inside you will negotiate a series of sand bottomed pools of variable depth. Strap sandals, reef shoes or sneakers with socks are recommended. It is suggested that you wear your swimsuit for the Tunnel walk – however you can wear an old shirt and shorts. Head torches are supplied for your tour. If you plan to carry your camera through Tunnel Creek, a suitable carrying bag is advisable as protection against potential water damage. Alcoholic beverages are not included in the tour package however can be purchased separately at the on-site restaurant and bar. A selection of non-alcoholic beverages will be available at meal times. Whilst we provide water throughout the tour, we do recommend bringing your own water bottle to ensure you are kept well hydrated in the extreme Kimberley heat